God Tier Reputation System

Suggest features for v2!
Forum rules
Pixelpaw

God Tier Reputation System

Postby Pixelpaw » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:05 pm

(Shamelessly copypasted from MSPARP Forums after discovering this one)

Now, obviously the idea and pursuit of a SBURB-styled game is nothing new around these parts. I just thought I'd share my view on a couple things.

As the game progresses, it gradually tries to narrow down what your God Tier is. First, it determines aspect through your daily life and interactions in non-violent situations. This is done before entering the Medium.

Upon entering the Medium, many things are centered around your aspect, but there is little to no hint as to your class. My guess is that it determines how you (and therefore your aspect) adapt to the situations you encounter, and defines it as a class. This also explains why Seers, who only gain more knowledge, are already quite knowledgeable about their aspect before their ascent to God Tier, and also how many characters symbolically mimic their role before it is revealed.

On a hunch, I might also say that your kiddie camper handysash badges are gained in order of relevance to your aspect. I believe Jade got a universal strife specibus first, while John got the ability to talk (use his breath) freely.

Obviously, abilities would be set by the class, and modified by the aspect. Certain abilities are class-and-aspect-specific, however. Fraymotifs are able to be used based on one's aspect, and class plays little role in determining those.

------------------------------------------------------------

Now for how this works in v2: I suggest that most items and actions have some sort of reputation applied to them based on the relation to an aspect. Frequently pestering chums would be Heart, writing guides might be Light, and wasting Time.. well, you get the picture. Using items with direct ties to an aspect (Cinnamon Hearts (Heart), Clocks (Time), Alchohol (Void)) will also raise the reputation. Each aspect and the opposite (Time-Space, etc.) hold an overall reputation score, with the highest pair taking priority. Upon entering the Medium, this aspect is set.

As for class, depending on how you react during imp strifes and in social dynamics on the dream moons (stressful situations, basically) you once again gain reputation, this time based on how you wield your aspect.

For me, one of the best parts of Homestuck was discovering what the characters' God Tiers were. It was awesome, and having it be predestined is a letdown. In the RP I'm running on MSPARP, I'm using this system and so far it's going pretty well.

arcaneArtist

Re: God Tier Reputation System

Postby arcaneArtist » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:31 am

i feel like this would be best as an optional feature, since it could cause difficulties with things like Unique Classpects. (also, chatting could be Blood rather than Heart, but that's debatable.)
Last edited by arcaneArtist on Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

animatedAspirant

Postby animatedAspirant » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:07 am

I think this could be extremely difficult to implement In a satisfying and balanced way, but I love the idea of it. Although i'd caution it might not be a good idea to have item use tied to aspects, because people might just end up eating a bunch of cinnamon hearts to override their true aspect, or might feel discouraged from using certain items because it would 'skew' their reputation away from the true aspect their personality suggests. If that makes sense!

A thought I've entertained a lot is of OP giving players the option to take a Harry Potteresque 'sorting hat' personality quiz that would assign them a class and aspect, but not tell the player what their results were. The player would have to discover their class and aspect gradually by playing the game, just like John and co did. :D Unfortunately, a big obstacle to this approach is that the canon meanings of all the different classes and aspects have not been "confirmed" yet, heh. This might also be an obstacle when it comes to the design you're describing (at least for the time being).

But yeah. Decision-based classpects are a super cool game idea and I would absolutely love to see a HS project with a system like this.

Thellere
Site Admin

Postby Thellere » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:38 pm

A thought I've entertained a lot is of OP giving players the option to take a Harry Potteresque 'sorting hat' personality quiz that would assign them a class and aspect, but not tell the player what their results were. The player would have to discover their class and aspect gradually by playing the game, just like John and co did. :D Unfortunately, a big obstacle to this approach is that the canon meanings of all the different classes and aspects have not been "confirmed" yet, heh. This might also be an obstacle when it comes to the design you're describing (at least for the time being).
Something I've been arguing for actually :) We're taking leeway with canon now rather than trying to stick to it 100%, so the unconfirmed classpects don't matter too much.

animatedAspirant

Postby animatedAspirant » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Oh, cool! Haha. I'm excited to hear that. And good to know about the classpect leeway, that definitely makes sense.

forrestshadow

Postby forrestshadow » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:09 am

Not to start any arguments or anything, I don't agree with this. In terms of what's canon, your Mythological Role (Classpect) is determined before you even exist. In terms of this game, it shouldn't be based on your actions. Suppose I choose to be a dude who sucks at bringing people's doom. Should I be a Page of Doom? I don't think so. If this were to be implemented it would have to be optional to have this determined by the game. Like if you leave the class and aspect blank at character creation, then it picks for you. Once again, I am not trying to start an argument, cuz we all know how the internet can be.

outcastedOpal

Postby outcastedOpal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:40 am

In terms of what's canon, your Mythological Role (Classpect) is determined before you even exist. In terms of this game, it shouldn't be based on your actions. Suppose I choose to be a dude who sucks at bringing people's doom. Should I be a Page of Doom? I don't think so.
yes but not really. it is based on your personality or character. Your personality is not determined by your actions, but usually, your actions are determined by your personality. Also, the devs aren't taking canon %100 seriously anymore so either of our opinions don't matter. what matters is how fun the game is and if it was as fun as reading homestuck.

Also, if people wanna know their godtier, I recommend this test (https://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rvalle/ ... squiz.html). If any Devs wanted to see an example of how the tests might go, I really recommend using this as a resource. Maybe try contact the person who made it idk. this test just works so well, and i've done a few. (I'm absolutely %100 sure that everyone already knows about this test, seeing as it is the number one google result for godtier and i probably look like an idiot)

Return to “Suggestions”